Section IV Writing
Write an e-mail of about 100 words to a foreign teacher in your college, inviting him/her to be a judge for the upcoming English speech contest.
You should include the details you think necessary.
You should write neatly on the ANSWER SHEET 2.
Do not sign your own name at the end of the e-mail, Use "Li Ming" instead.
Do not write the address. (10 points)
Write an essay of 160-200 words based on the following drawing. In your essay you should
1) describe the drawing briefly
2) explain its intended meaning, and
3) give your comments
You should write neatly on ANSWER SHEET 2. (20 points)
Section I Use of English
1. A. grants
2. D. external
3. C. picture
4. A. For example
5. B. fearful
6. B. on
7. A. if
8. D. test
9. D. success
10. A. chosen
11. D. otherwise
12. C. conducted
13. B. rated
14. D. took
15. B. then
16. C. marked
17. A. before
18. C. drop
19. B. undo
20. C. necessary
Section II Reading Comprehension
Text 1 (In the 2006)
21. B. insensitivity to fashion
22. D. shop for their garment more frequently
23. A. accusation
24. D. pricing is vital to environment-friendly purchasing
25. C. criticism of the fast-fashion industry
Text 2 (An old saying)
26. B. lower their operational costs
27. D. internet browser developers
28. C. will not benefit consumers
29. A. DNT may not serve its intended purpose
30. D. skepticism
Text 3 (Now utopia)
31. B. our faith in science and technology
32. A. sustained species
33. D. our immediate future is hard to conceive
34. C. draw on our experience from the past
35. C. the ever-bright prospects of mankind
Text 4 (On a five to three)
36. C. overstepped the authority of federal immigration
37. C. states’ legitimate role in immigration enforcement
38. D. stood in favor of the states
39. A. outweighs that held by the states
40. D. The Administration is dominant over immigration issues.
41. E. These issues all have root causes in human behavior...
42. F. Despite these factors...
43. B. However, the numbers are still small...
44. G. During the late 1990s...
45. C. The idea is to force social to integrate...
Section III Translation
46. 然而，看着无家可归者绘制出的花园图片时，人们会突然意识到，尽管这些花园风格多样，它们都显示了人类除了装饰和创造性表达之外的其他各种基本诉求47. 一块神圣的和平之地，不管它有多么粗糙，它都是一种人类本能的需求，和庇护所相反，那只是动物的本能需求。
48. 无家可归者描绘的花园实质上是无所依附的，这些花园把一种形式引入城市环境中，而这样的城市环境中，形式要么根本不存在， 要么就完全不是以这种明显的方式存在。
Section IV Writing
Dear Prof. Smith,
On behalf of Students’ Union, I am writing this letter to invite you to be a judge for the speech contest which will be held in Students’ Union Hall on Monday, January 21.
As an internationally acclaimed scholar in English language and culture, your participation will bring us the pleasure. What’s more, since you have been teaching for a long time and you enjoy a great popularity among all teachers and students, we firmly believe that you can offer us valuable suggestions on improving our students’ oral and writing abilities.
It would be a great honor if you could accept this invitation. We are looking forward to your favorable early reply.
As is shown above, this simple picture represents a vigorous situation that nearly every graduate student will face: hunting for a job, further studying, starting a business or going aboard. Which one should they choose? Without exception, everyone has to make choices in life, no matter concerning school, career, or love. While some choices are easy, one cannot avoid the task of making difficult decisions.
There is sufficient evidence showing that choices are often directly related to one’s happiness. University students, face a hard and crucial decision upon graduating. Many students have difficulty in deciding whether to continue studying or begin a career. As is known to all, every individual is different, and one must take the factors of one’s personal life into consideration. In addition to an awareness of specific circumstances, however, making the right choice also depends on correct appraisal of oneself.
It is without doubt that in order to choose correctly, therefore, one must be both realistic and self-aware. Furthermore, there is other aspect to be taken into consideration. Once having made a decision, one should seriously accept and pursue the path one has chosen, and strive towards the realization of one’s goal with spirit.